Hospice and Palliative Care of St. Lawrence Valley accompanies families for thirteen months following the death of a loved one. Bereavement services are provided at the request of Hospice families and are also available to members of the community who are grieving free of charge.
Hospice of St. Lawrence Valley’s Bereavement Services support grieving individuals through:
Grief Counseling – Short term counseling is available for small groups or individuals affected by grief. A Hospice affiliation is not required. Services are offered by appointment only and are free of charge thanks to generous community donations.
*Grief counseling for the St. Lawrence County Community is on pause until Fall 2020*
Support Groups – these six-week programs allow individuals the opportunity to share with others who are navigating grief. Our grief support groups will provide individuals with tip, tools and resources to help them through their grief journey. For additional information on monthly support groups click here.
Additional Services offered to Hospice Families and Community Members:
- Grief Bulletin Series with titles including: What Is Grief; Feelings of Grief; Coping with Grief; Different Bonds, Different Grief; After the First Year; and Coping with the Holidays
- Information on grief and loss including loss issues such as the death of a child, parent or spouse, grieving children and supporting grieving friends and family. Suggested reading lists are also available
- Grief publications and program announcements through the regular mailing OR have information emailed. To receive information by email: contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your name and the name of the loved one who died. Additional family members can be added to the email list or to the hospice mailing list by contacting Hospice
- Educational presentations and workshops on grief and bereavement for groups and professionals in the community
- Referrals for family members not living in St. Lawrence County to a Hospice Bereavement program in their area
Support to Grieving Children – Hospice contracts with St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES to provide on-site support to schools when a student or teacher dies. Hospice Bereavement staff work with the school crisis team before, during and after the death. Grief support groups are available to schools with students impacted by the death. Teacher and School Counselor education is provided during the crisis. Hospice also offers an annual training workshop “When Grief Comes to School” for school counselors with a spotlight on a grief related topics and coping tools to assist students.
Additional Services Available to Students:
- A collection of children and teens’ grief books are available in each library in St. Lawrence County. A list of these titles is accessible through the library and will soon be online.
- Six-week support groups for students are offered on an as needed basis
Click Here to find more resources to help support grieving children and teens.
Grief Education Workshops – Hospice offers many education programs from one hour presentations to all day workshops. Topics include:
- Grief in the Workplace
- The Grief of Suicide
- Supporting Grieving staff
- Supporting Grieving Children
- Supporting Grieving Teens
- The Grief Toolbox
- When Friends and Families Grieve
To schedule a grief education presentation or to learn more about bereavement services, contact our Bereavement Coordinator at (315) 265-3105.